I love the idea of celebrating the twelve days before Christmas, but I never much liked the idea of waking up to find maids-a-milking in my living room. So I thought I would make up my own list of countdown gifts that are guaranteed to make someone smile.
1) Hold someoneâ€™s hand when they least expect it.
2) Write a letter in real handwriting on real paper, and mail it with a real stamp.
3) Tell a joke.
4) Kiss someone with or without mistletoe. Lips, cheek, head, hand all are very nice.
5) Invite someone to your favorite place and tell them why they are there with you .
6) Add an extra ribbon, bell, sprig of holly, or lottery ticket to a package you wrap.
7) Cook something youâ€™ve never cooked before; share it with someone you haven’t shared with.
8) Choose one person who is not expecting a gift and give them one too late for them to reciprocate.
9) Hold a door for someone when youâ€™re the one in a hurry.
10) Talk to someone who lives alone. Not just hello, but a real conversation.
11) Hum a Christmas song close enough so other people can hear. Smile when they look your way.
12) Let your spouse sleep late and your kids get up early.
Tell me about the special gift you give someone. Do it before December 25 and Iâ€™ll send you a bookfor Christmas. Choose the one youâ€™d like at www.rebeccaforster.com.