USA Today Bestselling author of 35 books, including the Witness series and the new Finn O’Brien series.
After thirty-five published novels (and a few that are still under the bed) the best advice I can give an author is to step away from the book. Leave the house and do something physical for a few days. Play tennis, jog, or get a massage. When your body is energized, so is your mind. You have also now made a break with your creative responsibilities and are ready to tackle your administrative one. Here are the next steps that I think are critical. These steps will make it easy for readers to sign up for your mailing list and help you get reviews – the two most critical things for successful marketing.
- Construct your front and back matter. This will include:
- Carefully worded reviews request linked to relevant bookstore (front and back)
- Links to your website, BookBub and Amazon page follows. (back)
- Information on your lead magnet with a link to your sign up page (front and back)
- Backlist with title, one line blurb and a few books covers (can be front and back) If you have a zillion, limit to ten and then offer a link ‘for other works by this author’
- Short author bio (back)
- Check every link to make sure they are live and go to the right place.
- Reread the entire book including all the additions to catch last minute mistakes.
- Publish the book.
- Wait a few days before aggressively marketing so that the book establishes itself within the Amazon algorithms.