by Evelyn Q. Darling
Romance Reporter At Large
How well do you know your hero? Is he tall, dark and handsome? Okay, so you donâ€™t want a cookie-cutter hero, but have you really thought about what questions to ask him?
(When you can take your eyes away from his sexy grin among other parts of his anatomy.)
This reporter recently interviewed heroines for a romance gig and got some very interesting answers.
Now, itâ€™s your heroâ€™s turn. Ready, ladies? Start your enginesâ€¦
Here are my 5 Job Tips for a great romance novel hero interview:
1. Donâ€™t ask him to take off his shirt. Tempting, yes, as you check out his muscular arms, but this is a sexist attitude that will get you nowhere. (But oh the fun youâ€™ll have trying!)
2. Schedule the interview in a locale where youâ€™ll both feel comfortable. Not in a sports bar where he can eyeball the basketball scores and the waitresses with the deep cleavage. Forget tea shops that serve lemon dainties, unless youâ€™re writing a regency and you want to see if he exudes the proper Mr. Darcy-isms.
3. Ask him to show you hisâ€¦wheels. Yes, I said, wheels. Is he a Harley guy? Jaguar? Or does he drive an old pickup? Does he keep half his â€œstuffâ€ in his car? Or is he a neatnik? You can tell a lot about a man by hisâ€¦wheels.
4. Whatâ€™s his day job? Or if heâ€™s into night work (and what hard-working vampire isnâ€™t?), youâ€™ll want to make sure heâ€™s a good match for your heroine. If sheâ€™s a lawyer, a police detective can make her life hectic; if she runs a cake and bake shop, how about interviewing a land developer who wants to tear down her vintage cottage shop? And letâ€™s not forget the city gal whoâ€™s just aching to meet up with a real cowboy. Just make sure he can rideâ€¦a horse.
5. And finally, donâ€™t ask him if heâ€™s a good kisser. Tell him to show you.
Evelyn Q. Darling is the alter ego of Jina Bacarr.